Saturday, January 9, 2010

Great Expectations?

When the New Year comes around most of us look at our life and what we would like to change. We look at our goals and the things we need to be more disciplined in, like exercise. What are our expectations for our lives in the coming year? This new year I feel compelled to examine what I am doing and the value of those things in my life. Are specific areas contributing to growth or stagnation in my life? I am looking at what increases my joy, energy and creativity. Also, which things drain those my life and creativity?


"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased." -C.S. Lewis

This is one of my favorite revelations from C.S. Lewis. When we think about it, how true is this quote? Do we really perceive what God has for us? Do we truly perceive the hope that He has called us to? Are we playing around with the mundane things in life when we could be attaining the great things He has for us? I've been reading Lewis' essay, "The Weight of Glory" and reflecting on what my expectations are in life.

John Bevere was a guest speaker this past week at my church and one of the things he said was, "we need to stop reading what we believe and start believing what we read." Do I do that? Do I read God's Word in light of what I've been taught it says instead of truly reading it? In light of God's word, in light of the promises He gives in the Gospels, do I believe what I read?

"[For I always pray to] the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, that He may grant you a spirit of wisdom and revelation [of insight into mysteries and secrets] in the [deep and intimate] knowledge of Him, By having the eyes of your heart flooded with light, so that you can know and understand the hope to which He has called you, and how rich is His glorious inheritance in the saints (His set-apart ones), And [so that you can know and understand] what is the immeasurable and unlimited and surpassing greatness of His power in and for us who believe, as demonstrated in the working of His mighty strength! -Ephesians 1:17-19 (Amplified)

There are things I take to prayer, asking the Lord why they are difficult for me. Some of them are things that I need to change my heart attitude on because God has something in them for me. Some I need to step away from. Some things I need to pick up or increase in.

Writing is one of the things that brings me joy, where I feel alive, and one of the things that I am going to MAKE more time for this year. The reason is more than just the joy that comes with it, I feel like it is something God has called me to do. There is a hope wrapped in it. Writing is a gift inside of me that I am burying in the ground if I don't make time to use it. Writing has always seemed a far away desire for me, not something logical. I believe it is an area where I was settling in life instead of raising my expectations.

We can know exactly what God is calling us to do, and the immensity of this glorious way of life He has for His followers! I feel that my expectations for life have been too low. I have been one of those that has settled for a mundane life instead of looking to the Lord to find out what He has for me and going for THAT.

My prayer for this new year is... "Lord, I pray that the eyes of my heart are flooded with light, so that I know and understand the hope to which You have called me to. You have a rich inheritance for me as your child, and I pray that you would give me understanding of the greatness of Your power in my life. I repent for allowing myself to settle for less than you have offered. Thank you for working in me and for demonstrating Your strength in my life as I walk in those things you have called me to. Thank you for helping me to raise my expectations to what You have for me. You are faithful and true to Your word. I will rest in You this year. In Jesus' name, Amen"

1 comment:

Spring M Fricks said...

This is very encouraging and inspiring. It sounds like you have awakened and our on the verge of a huge revelation for your life. The Lords calling you deeper into Him and you are answering the call. This year should be very interesting.